New Carbonology Switch

• GSPT
  • Level 2 Personal Trainer and surf coach
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #18094 by GSPT
New Carbonology Switch was created by GSPT
Got a chance to paddle the new Switch on Perth's Swan River this morning. Wow. What a ski. I had the 10kg (aprox) carbon model. Based on the Atom, the Switch is infinitely more stable, but just as fast. They've altered the hull from just in front of the seat to the rear, making it slightly more beefy. I only had 45 minutes, but my time for an 8km circuit was 2 mins faster than other skis. Some nice touches to the ski, including a one-way venturi (water escapes but can't enter through them) plus handles front and rear AND ... the ability to "Swicth" from underneath to trailing rudder. New gelcoat method also, giving the ski a matt, grey look. Appently saves on weight. The ski is solid as a rock and I had no comfort problem in the seat, though I was only on board for 45 minutes (also did a few sprints and got some looks from the Institute of Sport kayak crew). I'm quite small (32in waist) and I'm not sure how well it will suit larger-waisted paddlers. Surf test to come.

Greg Smith
Level 2 PT and surf coach
Paddling Technician
S.Africa marathon 79, 81, 83
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by GSPT. Reason: Just wanted to tidy it a bit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18098 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic New Carbonology Switch
Glad to hear someone else not associated with it's design or manufacture likes it.

Just finished writing up a review last night and I am about to email it off to Rob with the video link and photos.

To wet your appetite here's some video.

I didn't like my voice in it so I dubbed over with some music.

Always looking for the next boat :)

• GSPT
More
10 years 7 months ago #18099 by GSPT
Replied by GSPT on topic New Carbonology Switch
But you will put a v/o, won't you? Doesn't work with just music.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 7 months ago #18100 by AR_convert

GSPT wrote: But you will put a v/o, won't you? Doesn't work with just music.

No, I'm happy to just let the review explain what you are seeing in the video.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18105 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic New Carbonology Switch
Waiting impatiently for the specs, you could just spill now... B)

• GSPT
More
10 years 7 months ago #18107 by GSPT
Sorry. I don't know the specs. Ask Carbonology (see their web site). All I know is it's the smaller length and it's light (had a carbon layup) and exceptionally well built. Specs mean nothing to me. It's how the boat travels. All I know it's a great flat-water boat, but twitchy in the surf. Then again, that's relative to me (58 and well past wanting the sleekest boat).

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 7 months ago #18108 by AR_convert

GSPT wrote: Sorry. I don't know the specs. Ask Carbonology (see their web site). All I know is it's the smaller length and it's light (had a carbon ).

I think it's the same length and width as the Atom. Weights are yet to be determined as these boats were the first to be built experimenting with this layups and gel coat method.

It may be a bit premature to be referring to them as "Carbonology" skis.

While Carbonology built these, the group behind the ski are yet to come to a formal arrangement on who will build them and how they will be distributed.

I had been holding off on my review to see if this was any closer to being addressed but no word yet. (Unless you know something different Greg)

• GSPT
More
10 years 7 months ago #18109 by GSPT
Well, Brett, you know heaps about it. Anyway, it's not the ski for me. Too tippy in the ocean for my liking, but exceptionally built and a ripper on the flat. Will stick to a club ski for the moment but keen to next try the new OceanBuilt (if / when it's out)and maybe a new V10. Cheers.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 7 months ago #18110 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic New Carbonology Switch
There is nothing to be found on this ski on Carbonology's website. Specs are all important to us who have not paddled the ski and want to know if its suitable for our sizes, abilities and conditions.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18111 by AR_convert
I guess you could say this is a soft launch given the circumstances. This initial batch of skis are being paddled by people from various paddling backgrounds to get feedback and get a feel for whether there is any modifications needed. I guess soon enough they'll settle on the final setup and layup specs with whoever builds them before releasing hard specs and prices.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18156 by MuzLath
Replied by MuzLath on topic New Carbonology Switch
I recall you paddling a SES extensively at one time AR, before you bought a Vault.

Is the new Switch as fast as the SES? Interested to know how you think those three skis (Switch/SES/Vault) stack up against each other?

• GSPT
More
10 years 6 months ago #18157 by GSPT
Sorry, you have me confused with someone else. Never paddled a SES and never bought a Vault. Can only compare the Switch to the Atom. Just as fast but less tippy. But tippier than the Vault. Hope that helps.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 6 months ago #18158 by AR_convert

MuzLath wrote:
Is the new Switch as fast as the SES? Interested to know how you think those three skis (Switch/SES/Vault) stack up against each other?

Definitely faster than the SES and Vault. It is fast!

It's been a while since I owned a Vault and paddled an SES do couldn't offer a comparison on stability.

I like the Vault and SES, both great skis, the Switch has taken the low volume shorter ski to the next level by adjusting the Atom design which was proven quick.

As for how they will stack up downwind that's another question, but for a flat water or small condition point to point racer the switch is the ski. Wish I was rich enough to get one for myself.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MuzLath

• GSPT
More
10 years 6 months ago #18166 by GSPT
Brilliant in the flat but I didn't find it to be suitable for downwind, but that's me. Just too tippy for my liking. Like all reviews, they're subjective.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 6 months ago #18412 by JC
Replied by JC on topic New Carbonology Switch
Any more feedback on the Switch from those who have tried it? Stability and performance compared to other skis you've paddled? Have there been any design updates to the boat since its initial limited release? Thanks!

More
10 years 6 months ago #18421 by heinvr
Replied by heinvr on topic New Carbonology Switch
Hi JC,
I have been testing a Hybrid construction 12kg Switch for a couple of weeks now.

From the onset, you need to know that I am owner of Carbonology and co-designer of the Atom when I started the business. That said, I do not think there is anyone more critical over the changes made to the Atom in the creation of the Switch.

I cannot fault this ski on the flat and the increase in stability with the two changes made to the stern of the hull (decrease in rocker and increase in width/volume behind the seat) is amazing.

I find the ski comfortable in all conditions thus far and I can apply full power.

I achieved 18km/hr at the start of a 10km flatwater timetrial on tuesday and went on to win my first timetrial in over 2 years. So I am pretty stoked aspecially since I was racing against K1's.

So with hull speed and stability sorted, we decided to make a couple of changes to the deck to add to the experience of paddling this ski in the ocean.

We raised the bow by 30mm tapering down to 5mm at the start of the footwell.
This should assist in rectifying one criticism that I have of the ski being too wet in the downwind and going into the wind.

My calves were restricted so we dropped the Flash seat consol into the ski which is in my opinion the most comfortable seat we have made.

We made a further call to lower the hump in the seat a bit in order to allow full, unrestricted leg drive even for short paddlers as I beleive that this ski will be particularly suited to shorter paddlers.

As in the Atom, the seat is still a deep bucket, but the rails have been lowered a bit.

Once the changes are complete and the moulds finished, we have quite a few pre orders to complete, but I will surely add some pictures of the before and after Switch for you to compare.

Together with subsequent tests.

Regards,
Hein
The following user(s) said Thank You: richardh, tony h, JC, sAsLEX

More
10 years 6 months ago #18431 by AR_convert

heinvr wrote: I have been testing a Hybrid construction 12kg Switch for a couple of weeks now.

Big fan of the hybrid construction, best bang for your buck when considering weight versus stiffness and hard wearing!

heinvr wrote: I achieved 18km/hr at the start of a 10km flatwater timetrial on tuesday

Bugger, got me by .2, I managed 17.8km/hr in a sprint start in the Carbon boat. My previous best in the Flash was 17.3km/hr.

heinvr wrote: Hi JC,

So with hull speed and stability sorted, we decided to make a couple of changes to the deck to add to the experience of paddling this ski in the ocean.

So will there be an Ocean and Multisport versions? leaving the Multisport deck as it is?

My calves were restricted so we dropped the Flash seat consol into the ski which is in my opinion the most comfortable seat we have made.

Will be interested to see how this changes the feel, I liked the original one, you must have bigger calves.

We made a further call to lower the hump in the seat a bit in order to allow full, unrestricted leg drive even for short paddlers as I beleive that this ski will be particularly suited to shorter paddlers.

Say what :huh: the hump is already really low, there will be next to no hump now :laugh: Just as long as you stick the one way valves in the scuppers to stop water from sloshing back into the private parts when you start paddling on a chilly morning ;)

More
10 years 6 months ago #18432 by heinvr
Replied by heinvr on topic New Carbonology Switch
Hi Brett, so I'm a bit quicker than you...
Good to know for when I race you one day! Better bring my A game.
I'm pretty sure we will keep the downriver switch as is with inspection hatch and all. Lowering the hump is in relation to the Flash hump which is not as low as in current switch seat. Remember you are quite tall as well. Think of us normal blokes as well...

More
10 years 6 months ago #18433 by AR_convert

heinvr wrote: Lowering the hump is in relation to the Flash hump which is not as low as in current switch seat.

Okay, that makes better sense.

Oh and you are welcome to go faster off the line, I'll be sitting on your wash letting you do the work, then POW! :laugh:

More
10 years 6 months ago #18464 by stormast
Replied by stormast on topic New Carbonology Switch
Wow,a more stable better surfing Atom sounds like the perfect boat.
Any idea when they will be available in Australia?
Any thoughts on a retractable/Anderson type bailer in them aswell?
Cheers

Latest Forum Topics