Body weight range for intermediate skis

More
11 years 4 months ago #14113 by Ric
What are the body-weight ranges that the various intermediate skis are designed for?

e.g.
Zeppelin maybe 90 - 100kg?
I presume the Epics are generally in that range too?

It seems to me that this is an important factor - if the ski is not sitting properly in the water, it would likely not perform very well? I have had experience with an old Dorado for example where it felt like the whole boat was out of the water and had zero primary stability.

So as part of my upgrade process, I wonder if anyone has some solid info on that type of thing?

fwiw I'm in the 75-80kg range, currently paddling a Genius CLK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14120 by Marieski
I'd like to hear an answer to this too. (Sorry, Ric, that's not very helpful). Being in the 55-60 kg range I have often thought that my best training technique would be 6 months of beer and chips. And maybe chocolate hazelnut roulade cake.

Best solution so far is the Stellar SES, but it's a bit of a handful in the rough. And I'd love a Carbonology Atom, which I don't mind falling out of, just can't cope with not being able to get back in to.

Come on manufacturers and agents: weight ranges please!

Following on from that: skis for smaller folks please.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14123 by rubberDuck
For that weight range I would suggest either the Carbonology Sport Vault or Fenn Swordfish. Some of the other intermediate boats have too much volume for lighter paddlers. I am in that same predicament. I have a Genius Blu and I feel that it has too much volume for my weight. It feels twitchy on primary, but very good on secondary stability. I don't know the current Think Evo II, but I also felt that the original had too much volume for me, especially in the tail.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by rubberDuck.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14127 by Stew

rubberDuck wrote: I don't know the current Think Evo II, but I also felt that the original had too much volume for me, especially in the tail.

This was one of the areas addressed in the evolution to the Evo II. Reduced volume and a rocker change help free up the tail in downwind conditions.

The new cutaways at the paddle entry point have also helped with the making the ski more comfortable, with a tighter catch meaning more power and stability. Smaller paddlers in particular have been very positive about the new cutaways.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14142 by [email protected]

rubberDuck wrote: I am in that same predicament. I have a Genius Blu and I feel that it has too much volume for my weight. It feels twitchy on primary, but very good on secondary stability.

What do you weigh? At 85kg (or so) I find the Blu works pretty well for me - especially in downwind conditions where, for example, the Swordfish dips its nose a bit more.

Just one note though about weight and the Swordfish: I paddled with an A-grade paddler visiting from Durban recently and lent him my SF. He weighs just under 100kg and I figured he'd find the boat way too under-volume. But he really showed me a lesson in downwind paddling, cruising away from me in our short, steep wind-generated chop. He also paddles an Elite at home, but says he paddles the SF 90% of the time, because it's so much more stable. So, as everyone says, to some extent it's horses for courses and just because you're "too heavy" for a boat, it doesn't necessarily mean you can't paddle it well.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 4 months ago #14146 by rubberDuck
Robin

I weight around 78kg at the moment, and will probably even out at around 76kg with all my cycle training which was my original weight before my dating/jolling and early marriage years.

Robin, I must also state that I have one of the very early Genius Blu skis where the bucket was a bit higher than the revised version.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14148 by [email protected]

rubberDuck wrote: Robin, I must also state that I have one of the very early Genius Blu skis where the bucket was a bit higher than the revised version.

Yep, I heard those earlier boats were a bit of a handful! The newer model is much less frisky!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14149 by rubberDuck

robin.mousley wrote: Yep, I heard those earlier boats were a bit of a handful! The newer model is much less frisky!

Damn, I wish I could swop mine for a newer one;-) I got it for my out and back racing in all conditions boat. Now I am still stuck in the Horizon. I did e-mail the designer on the Blu after I got it stating my concerns. Glad he fixed it. To me the primary stability felt worse than the Fenn Elite and Red 7. It does have a very good secondary stability though. And the bucket is awesome comfy. I can sit in it all day.

I do have a Red 7 also which was built by Hein, but that is my downwind boat. I find the Red 7 tough on upwind and crosswind paddles.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by rubberDuck.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14150 by rubberDuck
To the OP.

The best advice I can give is to go and test paddle as many intermediate boats as possible and too see which one works for you, then you won't make the same mistake as I have made. All boats are not the same for all paddlers.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14152 by Ric
Thx rubberDuck - am in that process at the mo.

But I am still interested in the question I asked - I mean we hope the designers have some form of idea in their minds when they come up with new boats.

More examples... the Stellar Kayaks site actually gives weight capacity figures for their boats - which would be a useful guide. Rob can tell quite easily that he is at the top of the weight range for the SES (capacity 90), but at the bottom for some of the other boats.

So last weekend, we had Rob's 100kg mate riding the SF, and my 50kg friend also riding one... she thinks its a bit twitchy for her... is that cos she is light, or is the SF designed for a 50kg paddler?

...I do like the discussion so far tho...

More
11 years 4 months ago #14153 by rubberDuck
If I were a 50kg paddler, I would have a good look at the Carbonology Sport Vault in the Hybrid layup. Should then only weigh about 13kg to 14kg.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14154 by Ric
I hear you - she's not looking to change tho...

It IS one of the boats I tried this weekend:
- Carbonology Sport Vault
- Fenn Swordfish
- Carbonology Sport Flash (too tippy)

Sadly none fitted my short legs properly - hence my question trying to find more boats to try before resorting to rebuilding the SF or Vault seat with foam & duct tape ;-)

Hope to try the Focus in more demanding conditions soon. Also to see if we have a Stellar boat available for demo round here.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14156 by rubberDuck
Try the new Think Evo II also. I know the original version had a huge adjustment range for the footplate, such that even my 10 year old son could paddle it at the time.

I tried the Flash also. Very nice boat. I found it very agile and super fast on the rudder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric

More
11 years 4 months ago #14157 by Ric
Think Evo II (from the website)

Specs
* Length: 20’ 6” / 6.25m
* Width: 19” / 48cm
* Capacity: 120-240lbs / 60-110kg

Slap bang spot on weight wise for me!

And if ur 10yr old could fit it, I stand a good chance.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14159 by Rookie
Hi Ric,

You should have shouted - had a FOCUS at Sundays race. You were welcome to try in it the wind. ha ha.... :P
Shout next time the wind comes up - i will gladly bring my ski... :whistle:

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
11 years 4 months ago #14160 by Ric
Thanks, but I really did enjoy FINISHING the race....

Maybe Sea Dog this week since I know you don't paddle those.

;-)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14257 by fer-hou

Marieski wrote: I'd like to hear an answer to this too. (Sorry, Ric, that's not very helpful). Being in the 55-60 kg range I have often thought that my best training technique would be 6 months of beer and chips. And maybe chocolate hazelnut roulade cake.

Best solution so far is the Stellar SES, but it's a bit of a handful in the rough. And I'd love a Carbonology Atom, which I don't mind falling out of, just can't cope with not being able to get back in to.

Come on manufacturers and agents: weight ranges please!

Following on from that: skis for smaller folks please.

Marieski,

I'm also quite light weight (63 kg) and very much enjoy paddling the Atom, but was only using it on flat water because I found it difficult to remount. I recently did a modification to it, lowering the sides on the cockpit 4 cm (traced it from my Huki S1X, that is also a great boat for light people for bigger days). Now I can go out on open waters and remount without problems, big difference! (Still use the Huki on big days). Thought you might be interested to consider this option.
Attachments:

More
11 years 4 months ago #14261 by Marieski
Looks great Fer-hou! I semi jokingly suggested to Hein that he make me one with lower sides, but he said he had a bit much on his plate at the time, with the Flash and the double in development.

Did you do the modification yourself? If so, are you a professional in using the materials?

Don't know if anyone sells Hukis in Australia.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 4 months ago #14263 by LaPerouser
Weight wes the maim reason I switched from Evo to Swordfish. (60 -65kg) I particularly like the narrow bucket, and its not nearly as poppy in chop.

I haven't tried the other boats mentioned, although the Huki sounds interesting.

La Perouser

More
11 years 4 months ago #14268 by Marieski
Was that Evo I or Evo II?

Latest Forum Topics