New PFD Recommendations

More
6 years 6 months ago #29974 by 10212448059809852@facebook
Hi everyone,

I am a new ski paddler (long time sea kayaker), and just got a new Epic V7. I've noticed that my current PFD makes re-mounting difficult. The PFD sticks out pretty far from my chest (all of the material is on the front side) and makes it hard to hoist my body up. I can do it, but it seems harder than it should be. Are there any PFDs you would recommend with a lower profile, or perhaps a more even distribution of material?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29975 by WingSuit
Replied by WingSuit on topic New PFD Recommendations
Mocke

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29977 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic New PFD Recommendations
You don't need a PFD with the V7. It's stable enough not to fall out of it.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by LakeMan.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29979 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic New PFD Recommendations
Sarcasm is hard to convey in text. Don't confuse a beginner. He needs a PFD! We all need a PFD!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
6 years 6 months ago #29980 by zachhandler
You have a leash right? Safety wise a leash is probably much more important than a pfd. You should have both though.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
6 years 6 months ago #29981 by davgdavg
Replied by davgdavg on topic New PFD Recommendations
Mocke's are very comfy and cool. (I wouldn't buy the XL though, from what I've been told its the same size as the L and just has more foam, which I can't imagine is necessary in salt water. Unfortunately I got told that too late, so its a little bulkier than necessary. :( )

More
6 years 6 months ago #29982 by WingSuit
Replied by WingSuit on topic New PFD Recommendations
If you’re not going to wear a pfd in certain situations that you deem safe make sure you practice swimming/treading water with no hands, cause you’ll have your boat in one hand and your paddle in the other.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29983 by zachhandler
I thought it was the opposite? I thought the xl was identical to the L but simply with longer sidestraps to allow for more girth. There are two charts on the mocke website that seem to give contradictory info.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29984 by 10212448059809852@facebook
The Mocke looks great, though it is a tad pricier than I would like. I do have a leash and I would never go out on the water without a PFD, regardless of conditions. It's something I have worn on every kayaking trip for the past 12 years, and as a solo paddler, it's just common sense, for me at least.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29987 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic New PFD Recommendations
I apologise for joking around. We all need a PFD no matter what we paddle. I always have one with me (though I don't always wear it depending on conditions and air temps).

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 6 months ago #29989 by nell
Replied by nell on topic New PFD Recommendations
Another pfd to look at is the one sold by Nelo. It's relatively low profile, and what I also like is that it has a strap that goes down, through your legs, and up to the back of the pfd. The strap keeps the pfd from riding up around your neck if you find yourself in the water, and because of this strap, the pfd doesn't have to be so tight around your chest. When you don't want to connect that strap, you can simply wrap it around the side strap so that it's out of the way.
EBorgnes

More
6 years 6 months ago #29991 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic New PFD Recommendations
Years ago I had an XL Mocke (very expensive). I have a 48" chest, but, I'm only 5'9". It was uncomfortable due to the vest riding up into my chin. Definitely for a taller paddler. Gave it to my much taller buddy and he likes it.
To the OP; you may want to look at a wake boarding PFD. I have a neoprene pull over vest that is very low profile, comfortable (no straps) and provides warmth in colder conditions. It is not USCG approved but not a concern for me. It makes remounts much easier.
For warmer conditions I have a decent paddling PFD I purchased from
West Marine for about $50.00. Honestly I rarely wear or have a PFD with me and put on my leash in windier conditions. My decisions are partly influenced having been a competitive swimmer and beach lifeguard.
But, make no mistake, I gear up with flares, VHF DSC handheld radio, a neoprene hood in my PFD pouch, leash, whistle etc. I also notify the Harbor Patrol before heading out in a Gale Force down coaster. I prefer to paddle alone so I can concentrate on my paddle and not be concerned about the safety of others.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #30016 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic New PFD Recommendations
So for fun I took some pictures of what I use for personal flotation, when necessary, and well, another possibility. The first picture to the left shows a typical approved paddling jacket from West Marine @ $50.00. It is one size smaller than I should wear but just slides on with straps completely let out. Much less bulky that way. It provides 15.5 Lbs. of buoyancy. It has a small, almost useless zipper pocket and a sturdy carabiner strap that your leash could be attached to.
In the middle is my customized neoprene Hyperlight wake boarding vest. I added large pouches front and back with old wetsuit material, and the help of a local shoe repairman. I can carry a hydration bladder and safety equip. This vest fits nice and snug, helps keep me warm during spring downwinds and provides about 8 lbs of flotation. Not approved, but, allows for very easy remounts.
The inflatable rashguard at right is actually designed for surfers to alleviate chest and neck strain while paddling a surf board. It just donned on me though, that it could be used for some flotation assistance that possibly someone could find useful. It is manually inflated and provides around 7 lbs. of bouancy. I can tell you it makes it difficult for me to duckdive under waves.
So for what it is worth, there you go for some pfd alternatives.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Fath2o.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Impala, jateureka

More
6 years 6 months ago #30019 by jazzman
Replied by jazzman on topic New PFD Recommendations
Look at the Vaikobi PFD. Lower profile than the Mocke ( I have both ), no hassle to remount.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30021 by Impala
Replied by Impala on topic New PFD Recommendations
Hi Fatho2,

interesting and funny collection ... thank you.

I am using a Mocke and generally like it, but not its tendency to swim up, and so I added a crutch strap to keep it down (if you happen to use one, see to not pull it too tight, as otherwise you shock-squeeze your bollocks when scrambling to remount ... not nice, really). Another aspect is that the front pocket is open upwards, so anything stored in it should be somehow tied to not lose your phone etc when falling in.

Anyhow, I find the buoyancy of most PFDs too low. If then a 2l-bladder is added, the buoyancy effect is further reduced. I feel comfy with 70N, not the usual 50N, but there is no 70N vest on the market with a 2l bladder pocket. So Fatho2's idea to just sew a pouch to the back of the vest yourself seems a possible way out.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30028 by topswimmer
Replied by topswimmer on topic New PFD Recommendations
I don't know where you are based but look up the Baltic PFD very slim profile & a the pockets for a flare drink bladder etc.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30030 by Impala
Replied by Impala on topic New PFD Recommendations
"look up the Baltic PFD"

Thanks, tried this, but there are lots of different models, only front photos, and no information on buoyancy or additional features. Really funny, but the website features a h...t gal ...

www.baltic.se/en/

More
6 years 6 months ago #30032 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic New PFD Recommendations
I have an NRS ninja. My only pfd I've owned but I don't have any complaints. Low profile, easy to remount.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30104 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic New PFD Recommendations
Here in Australia you have to wear a Code complying PFD whenever you paddle; be it racing, training, etc (except in some rare cases where official exemption has been given by the Authorities). On the east coast here most racers (ocean or flatwater) seem to favour the minimalistic Vaikobi. Others regularly seen included similar styles by Ocean Paddler, APS, etc with some favouring the more bulky Mocke due to its claimed superior ventilation; (its usually hot around this way). I wear an Ocean Paddler model oceanpaddler.com/online-store/oceanpaddler-pfd-high-vis/

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
6 years 6 months ago #30108 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic New PFD Recommendations
I have a Mocke, Stohlquist Rocker, and a Vaikobi. Hands down I prefer the Vaikobi as it's cooler, the easiest for remounts, and dries the quickest.

Latest Forum Topics