Brisbane

More
14 years 2 months ago #4029 by Boof Head
Brisbane was created by Boof Head
Last Saturday morning, i was out paddling on the Brissie River and saw a bunch of ski paddlers around the Hamilton/Bulimba reach area.
Is there some sort of group/club here in Bris? I wouldn't mind joining in from time to time plus I'm not too fast so I would make the backenders feel a bit better about themselves.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4031 by TJD
Replied by TJD on topic Re:Brisbane
Gday Boof Head, sounds like you spotted the BCK (Breakfast Creek Klan) paddlers. A number of us paddle from Breakfast Creek (ross st boat ramp) and Bulimba (quay street boat ramp). We are usually on the water at 0445 Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings. Your more than welcome to join us. We cater for all speeds and abilities. cheers!

More
14 years 2 months ago #4032 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:Brisbane
0445. Is that a typo?
Seriously though, I would love to hook up for a paddle sometime. Thanks for the invite,
I'm normally out paddling on the River a couple of times week in the arvo after work or on a Sunday arv . cheers

More
14 years 2 months ago #4033 by TJD
nah mate unfortunatley work and family see us on the water that early! cheers

• aussie
  • Visitor
14 years 1 month ago #4079 by aussie
Replied by aussie on topic Re:Brisbane
I made the mistake of useing that boat ramp when i was desperate after travelling and working in brisbane from the gold coast.It must have been the slipperyest black sludge on the planet!Is there a method of entry there or am i just a soft pampered southerner!

More
14 years 1 month ago #4081 by TJD
Yeh i think just a soft southerner! When it gets bad enough we get onto the council to gerni it down but they convieniently do it on a high tide it seems!

More
14 years 1 month ago #4082 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:Brisbane
Not too many places to actually put in on the Brissie River around the inner city.
There is a small beach along the New Farm river walk where i put in. I have a kayak cart and walk there but there is a walkway if you park on Oxlade drive, sand not mud.
Aussie, you Currumbin guys are spoiled.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4096 by Slime
Replied by Slime on topic Re:Brisbane
A good place to put in is the jetty next to the South Brisbane Sailing Club at the end of Orleigh Park. At medium to high tide the ramp is easy as well, with no slipping (yet). Some folk paddle from there at 5:30, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4516 by manoftin
Replied by manoftin on topic Re:Brisbane
We usually use the boatramp about 400m further up breakfast creek which is on the other side, accessed from Sandgate rd,
the ramp is less greasy esp at low tide, and there is much more carparking

Stu

• apaddler
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10813 by apaddler
Replied by apaddler on topic Re:Brisbane
Moving up to Brisbane over Easter and will be living around Bardon.
Looking for a squad to train mornings and wknds.

Paddle a ski or K1 at a reasonable level.

Anyone doing regular sessions in / around the area?

Thanks
Ben

• DvanB
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10815 by DvanB
Replied by DvanB on topic Re:Brisbane

aussie wrote: I made the mistake of useing that boat ramp when i was desperate after travelling and working in brisbane from the gold coast.It must have been the slipperyest black sludge on the planet!Is there a method of entry there or am i just a soft pampered southerner!

A tip for slippery boat ramps, etc. The best grip you can get is from a pair of socks, the thicker, the better. I just use a pair of short running or mtb type socks, and they work like a charm. I was shown that trick by an old fisherman who used to fish for barramundi off the concrete ramps behind the sluice gates on Lake Kununurra. Those ramps were like an ice rink if you were bare foot, but with socks it was a breeze.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10816 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Brisbane
There is ai group that paddle from Westend (Oakleigh park) which would be best place for you to paddle from. Nothing formal, just a group of friends I believe. This is a good option for a Bardon resident and only a couple of k's upstream and you won't have City Cat traffic. The public canoe ramp at University of Queensland was washed away in the floods. It might have been a better option but I don't think that it has been rebuilt.
The brekky creek crew would be the biggest group. I see them from time to time but too early for me.

• apaddler
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10817 by apaddler
Replied by apaddler on topic Re: Brisbane
thanks, any idea what time they get on the water? I think it may be the same bunch of people i got referred to via some guys at work.

They said 5h20 which is a bit early for me, but will have to suck it up if I want to paddle.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10836 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re: Brisbane
Watch out all Brisbane paddlers! apaddler AKA Ben Silverstone is a dangerous individual... A significant lack of paddling talent is masked by a tendency to mouth off insultingly at any opportunity! He was kicked out of the paddling community in Cape Town and now Melbourne! He never takes up the pull. Don't let him ride your slip... You'll have your ear bent and struggle to get rid of him!

• apaddler
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10839 by apaddler
Gary, honestly, you are making this all up, or basing it on completely incorrect hearsay. You know for a fact that this is not based on first hand experience, because I was normally showered, had the boat on the car and on my second beer before you got off the water.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10840 by TJD
Replied by TJD on topic Re: Brisbane
Ben, we're on the water opposite Breakfast Creek @ 0445 Tuesday, Thursday mornings. We usually try to do a downwind or with the tide on the weekends depending on conditions. The week day sessions presently go for 90 minutes and the downhills are at least 30k. Some guys get on from the ramp at the end of Ross Street Newstead and the rest of us get on from the ramps at the end of Quay Street Bulimba. We have a few of your country men join us from time to time... Hope to see you on the water. Cheers Danny

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10844 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re: Brisbane
Ha, ha! Enjoy Brissie, Mate. See you when you're ready to take me on in Cape Town.

• apaddler
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10850 by apaddler
Danny, thanks for the info. Am up there after easter. Going to meet some guys at Orleigh Park (Westend) but may join you guys. Not been doing too much over an hour lately.

Gary - Avo says you are kak as ever

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10851 by Markmyword
Replied by Markmyword on topic Re: Brisbane
I was wondering if anyone is keen on semi regular paddle launching from Manly boat harbor out around green island and back (or Wellington Point etc). I am thinking maybe every 2nd weekend on Sunday Morning.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10852 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Brisbane
I'm interested in a bay paddle every once in awhile. But couldn't do it regularly.I go out in the Bay from time to time when I can. Peel, st.helena etc.
Junior rugby stuffs most of my weekends up though.

Latest Forum Topics