New Mocke PFD released

More
11 years 4 months ago #14543 by [email protected]
A new and ISO-approved version of the Mocke PFD has just become available... Review will be up shortly.

Some details on the new Mocke PFD are here:

The NEW and ISO Approved Mocke Racer PFD

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: cody91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14557 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Re: New Mocke PFD released
This is great news! Well done Dawid and team! Looking forward to finally getting my hands on one of these babies.

• Brad
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #14564 by Brad
Replied by Brad on topic Re: New Mocke PFD released
Just curious - in order to get through all the certification process, were there any technical challenges or was the major challenge just getting through the bureaucracy?

More
11 years 4 months ago #14568 by AR_convert
Given Australia has a pretty healthy number of paddlers I wonder if there is an intention
To get them approved here, I like the safe colour and our hot summer conditions are ideal for such a PFD.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14587 by [email protected]
Some initial feedback on the new Mocke PFD:

- Much less velcro. Good Thing: on my old one, the velcro on the waistband was completely worn out.
- No waistband. Good Thing: it was fastened with the worn out velcro mentioned above!
- No zip. Good Thing: although I never used it anyway, some folks complained that it got jammed up with salt (don't people rinse their gear?)
- Elasticated top of the front pocket. Good Thing: the velcro fastening the pocket on my old one is stuffed and the pocket gapes open. The elasticated top tends to hold the pocket closed.

It's hard to get really excited about a PFD, but suffice to say I've paddled in it three times now and it seems just as comfortable as the old one (which rated pretty highly in the comfort dept anyway).

I tested it in the water a couple of times yesterday when our training group did some practise re-entries after the paddle. Felt comfortable in the water and it didn't impede me as I scrambled back onto the ski. It sheds water pretty much instantly because of the wide mesh material.

I've worn a couple of different PFDs over the years and I would agree with others that the Mocke PFD is the most comfortable one I've used.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 4 months ago #14588 by [email protected]

AR_convert wrote: Given Australia has a pretty healthy number of paddlers I wonder if there is an intention
To get them approved here, I like the safe colour and our hot summer conditions are ideal for such a PFD.

Dawid says he doesn't have plans to get them approved at the moment because of the costs of getting them tested. Even though the ISO standard is equivalent to an Aussie standard, apparently they won't accept the ISO test reports and the testing has to be done again.

Here in SA it's actually illegal to sell uncertified PFDs, is it the same in Aus?

Rob

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14592 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic Re: New Mocke PFD released

robin.mousley wrote:
Here in SA it's actually illegal to sell uncertified PFDs, is it the same in Aus?

In NSW (the best state in Australia) the maritime regulations state; "Lifejackets must comply with one of the following Australian or International standards. Australian Standard for Personal Flotation Devices AS 4758, or International Standard ISO 2402" then goes on to list some other acceptable standards, such as US, Canadian and European.
From this it is clear that the Mocke pfd is legal here,

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by owenw.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14597 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: New Mocke PFD released
Paddling center link says Mocke PFD complies with ISO 12402-5 , may not be the same one you reference owenfromwales

More
11 years 4 months ago #14598 by owenw

Sandy wrote: Paddling center link says Mocke PFD complies with ISO 12402-5 , may not be the same one you reference owenfromwales

The ISO (International Standard) is indeed the same one; please see www.boatforlife.com.au/lifejacketwearit/...l-standard-iso-2402/
Oh, incidentally whilst my heritage is Welsh, I'm a different bloke, ie owenfromwangi!(lol)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14600 by AR_convert

owenw wrote:
From this it is clear that the Mocke pfd is legal here,

Good news for you guys then.

Not so in WA :( from what I read of our regulations it is either Australian Standard tagged or on a list appearing on their webpage, there is no mention of ISO standards that are acceptable.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14605 by owenw
Gee things happen slow in the West! Whilst the DoT WA recognises that the new Standard (AS4758) exists, they then go on to list alternative approved types, as at 1 May 2006! :huh:

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by owenw.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14607 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: New Mocke PFD released
What do you mean we're slow...as of 2 weeks ago we no longer need to carry an anchor, bailer, 4 flares and a vhf radio when we paddle our skis. Personally I've found an extra 1.5 kph since I've got all the crap out of the boat.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14609 by owenw
:laugh: Great comeback Dicko.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15283 by cody91
Replied by cody91 on topic Re: New Mocke PFD released
Any new feeback on the Mocke PFD? Looks like it's just been released in the states. Does it allow you to hold a hydration bladder?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15285 by coldwater
Not long now...they'll be out within a few weeks so I'm told.
Apparently it can carry a bladder in the back pouch - but don't quote me on that!

More
11 years 1 month ago #15291 by guitouni
Replied by guitouni on topic Re: New Mocke PFD released
Any chance we can get one in France ?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15292 by jean pierre
Valentin est à Cape town pour 3 mois , je pensais lui demander d'en ramener quelques uns ou d me les expédier

More
11 years 1 month ago #15293 by [email protected]
I've been using the new Mocke PDF for a couple of weeks now and can confirm the following:

There is much less use of velcro eg there is no belt anymore like the old one which was fastened with velcro (the velcro on mine had deteriorated to the extent that it was almost useless.)

The pocket in front of the PFD has an elasticated top, which means that it tends to remain closed instead of gaping open like the old one.

The pocket on the back of the PFD is still there - this is where the hydration bladder goes.

The overall buoyancy has been improved.

The material seems to have a slightly wider weave which might mean that it drains water even more quickly (although this certainly wasn't a complaint with the old one).

To me it's just as comfortable as the old one, but it appears to be more robust.

I have tried remounting various skis while wearing the PFD and I didn't find that the PFD gave me any hassles.

In rough weather offshore I carry, in the front pocket, whistle on a lanyard, pack of 3 pencil flares, my waterproof VHF radio.

The only suggestion I'd make to improve it would be to replace the elasticated loop above the front pocket with a more robust material (or even metal) hoop so that I could anchor the lanyards for my various bits and pieces more safely.

Images below courtesy of thepaddlingcentre.com

Rob

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trilobite

More
11 years 1 month ago #15297 by guitouni
Replied by guitouni on topic Re: New Mocke PFD released

jean pierre wrote: Valentin est à Cape town pour 3 mois , je pensais lui demander d'en ramener quelques uns ou d me les expédier

3 months in Cape Town ! Lucky man !

More
11 years 1 month ago #15322 by Trilobite
Thanks, Rob, for the detailed update on the changes between old and new versions. I'm expecting one from De and Pat at OceanPaddleSports as they just touched down on these shores. I'll use it as backup, as my old version is still going strong, and since they sell out so quickly, it's always nice knowing you have a favorite piece of kit to replace another if something happens. How many times has this happened that a manufacturer ceases production of something that works better than its successor? (Nike Toketee mid shoes, Level Six Antifreeze gloves (old version)...)

My only complaints with the old version were that the zipper gravitated downward due to movement (and gravity-here the Velcro waistband prevents the pfd from falling off), and the fit was a bit snug around my chest, even in the L-XL. Later versions had a zipper tab that prevented this, and I keep intending to sew one on mine...

Beyond that, what a fantastic pfd! It's extremely comfortable and cool, and the low profile makes it easy to remount without hanging up on the gunnels, etc. The large front pouch invites easy storage of a cell phone and other items. I never use the rear drinking bladder pouch, as I prefer to keep the drinking systems low in the ski, but it does make a handy place for your buddies to hide crap they've found on the beach, when you stop for island breaks, etc. B)

Its visibility is spectacular; there have been many an instance when out in conditions, you catch just a glimpse of neon orange between the troughs. Thus, keeping tabs on your companions is much easier. This is also a double-edged sword during races. ("A-ha! THERE he is-now to reel him in!") The amount of flotation is absolutely right-just enough, without being obtrusive.

This one's a winner. Well done, Mocke crew!

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

Latest Forum Topics