Leg Motion in a Ski

More
9 years 8 months ago #21522 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Leg Motion in a Ski
Lesson learned - never try to agree with Greg or backup Newbflat in disagreeing with Oskar's advice that pulling will stop you dead in your tracks... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21526 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Leg Motion in a Ski

Kocho wrote: One needs "something else" in addition to the push/pull/rotation motion to create forward movement.

... this is a paddling forum after all ... ;)

I'm glad we can all be friends again. At least there's loads of ideas (right and or wrong) on this thread to try out.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21565 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Leg Motion in a Ski

Kocho wrote:
Hope I'm making sense :)

nope
truck driver has nothing to pull back on with right leg.
it is way too simplistic in the ski you want to rotate to move past the fixed blade

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #21577 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Leg Motion in a Ski
It helps me to think of standing on each leg alternately (but I'm no expert or coach)

More
9 years 7 months ago #21578 by Joseph
Replied by Joseph on topic Leg Motion in a Ski
G' Day,
Leg Motion is no more than rotation of the hip and trunk, starting at the trunk and ending at the foot or heal. Fit and relaxing on a ski is the key not sitting on one's duff but pushing off the rear Glut.
Cheers Joseph

Joseph

More
9 years 7 months ago #21579 by uk_exile
Replied by uk_exile on topic Leg Motion in a Ski
Joseph, that's opposite to what I was taught by a top K1 coach (Gordon Walker, coaches Lisa Carrington, current K1 200m world & Olympic champ). It was couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to attend a weekend training camp with him & he definitely said it starts with toes then moves through feet, ankles, etc all leading to hip rotation

More
9 years 7 months ago #21580 by Joseph
Replied by Joseph on topic Leg Motion in a Ski
K-1 push off the Leg is true, it is a bit hard on the long hall of Ski paddling bucket being Diff., I feel a K-1 is the best trainer before a Ski and we have been in years gone by to Camp in Fl. but a 200 M race on the flat is not Miles at Sea either up or down hill and this will over lap in Tec, there is not only one way in life to get to the same point.
Cheers Joseph

Joseph

More
9 years 7 months ago #21584 by uk_exile
I agree it's different seat setups & effectiveness of hip rotation is reduced. However he was still saying feet first, even though half of us were in multisport kayaks with full bucket seat & doing 3-5hr races.
Regardless of what legs are doing going fast is mostly about getting early strong catch & having the power part of stroke out front

More
9 years 7 months ago #21585 by uk_exile
This is what I mean by multisport kayak 6 to 6.5m long & quite similar to skis, designed for long distance river races ranging from flat to grade 2 rapids
www.flowkayaks.com/site/kayaks/sharp-6/
Flow also makes very good skis
www.flowkayaks.com/site/surf-skis/

Latest Forum Topics